Thursday, October 15, 2009

C Isherwood, taking notes on Vivekanada’s sayings, My Guru and His Disciple:

“I am glad I was born, glad I suffered so, glad I did make big blunders, glad to enter peace. Behind my work was ambition, behind my love was personality, behind my purity was fear, behind my guidance the thirst for power. Now they are vanishing and I drift.

I hate this world, this dream, this horrible nightmare with its churches and chicaneries, its fair faces and false hearts, its howling righteousness on the surface and utter hollowness beneath, and, above all, its sanctified shopkeeping.

Let the barks of puppies not frighten you––no, not even the thunderbolts of heaven––but stand up and work.”

3 comments:

ro said...

I love this.

tooknap press said...

hey, I'm reading vivekananda-isherwood toooooooo! if you come & visit we can go to kanyakumari together & watch the sun rise & set from the same place. . .

juliet small ernst said...

That is beautiful.