Wednesday, October 10, 2007



In between the wedding and the reception, I stopped at the cemetery. I found the City of David section at--literally--the end of the road. In the 1930s, there were 300 members. Meals happened in shifts, in multiple dining rooms. Now there is one member living at the colony and two living "off-site." A commune of one is like one hand clapping.

I am one of the only people to visit these graves. According to the faith of the members, you are not supposed to spend any time with the dead. I photographed dozens of headstones. These were people who gave up their material possessions and homes to seek, in part, eternal life. The deaths aren't discussed in detail at the colonies; the bodies are taken away and that is that.

Lizzie Truckmiller ran a little candy and soda stand at the side of the road in the summertime. I have talked to several Jewish adults who came as children to the City of David for the entire summer. The colony ran a resort for Orthodox Jews, mostly Roumanian families from Chicago. They could keep kosher by eating vegetarian food at the vegetarian restaurant. Plus, the City of David members, with long hair and beards, would hardly find the Orthodox Jews strange. In fact, the colony built a synagogue for the community and jointly opened the country's first kosher hospital. Every person I interviewed talked about Lizzie and Lizzie's stand.

I don't think Volkswagen would want the first shot as PR, but actually, the House of David satellite colony in Australia had a Volkswagen dealership--I'm serious!

No comments: